Pages

Saturday 1 December 2012

Beauty Rave

Happy December 1st everyone! As we say goodbye to the marvelous mustaches of Movember, we say hello to the snowfall of December. Yesterday in Hamilton we had a ridiculous snow storm so I stayed in my bed watching episodes of The Good Wife and catching up on some Geordie Shore. Today I want to share with you my favourite beauty secret, something that I use religiously. Now, three things you would NEVER say about my hair is: straight, smooth and thin. My hair is a big knotty frizzy mess and I usually just throw it up in a bun so I can save 2-3 hours of my day which it does take if I want my hair to look half decent. My hair is extremely dry and I need to condition it a ton. The days where I do take the time out to do my hair and for the few occasions it does look straight, smooth (not particularly thin though) is when I do a coconut oil treatment.



Coconut oil is the choice fat to substitute butter in cooking, sauteing, deep frying, baking, making ice cream or smoothies.  Coconut Oil can also be used for skin and hair care. I specifically use Virgin Coconut Oil, it is by far the healthiest oil on earth. Coconut Oil is literally oil which will clog your pours on your skin. So you would probably prefer to go with VIRGIN Coconut Oil since the difference between Virgin and Coconut oil is the amount of processing the oil undergoes. Virgin coconut oil is the most unrefined and most natural form of oil, there is no artificial filtering or expeller used. It tastes delicious and smells exactly like coconut. 

I was introduced to Virgin Coconut Oil while I was living in Jasper, Alberta. One of the girls in my cabin started using it for her unbelievably unfair smooth hair, as well as using it as a make up remover. Quickly, all the girls in the cabin started using this god given oil.

I use this for my hair usually every time before I get in the shower (if I have time to let the coconut oil soak on my scalp). Coconut oil makes your hair feeling softer, and helps with dandruff/dry scalp. I usually shower at night since my hair takes so long to dry, so what I do is a few hours before I go take a shower and I’m all done school and won’t be seen in public with a greasy head, I take a spoonful of coconut oil, rub it in my hands and then massage the oil onto my scalp. Then I take another spoonful, rub it in my hands and then spread it throughout my hair paying special attention to the ends. (Now I may use a bit more coconut oil since I have a LOT of hair to cover). If you shower in the morning, it would be beneficial to do this before you go to bed and have this soak in your hair overnight and then wash it in the morning. But you can do it how I do it as well, as long as you have it in your hair for at least an hour you will see results.

When you get into the shower, wash your hair out with shampoo and conditioner. You can do this daily since coconut oil is natural and will not hurt your hair at all. The fat in the oil is extremely beneficial for your hair.

For skin, it can help fade away bruising, can act as a natural make up remover (make sure to wipe your face off with water after so you don’t clog your pores), can help as a moisturizer for those rough elbows and other dry parts. 

I got my coconut bottle for $20 but it has lasted me literally MONTHS. It’s natural, affordable, and the best purchase I have in my beauty collection. 

Happy December!



3 comments:

  1. I absolutely love coconut oil!!
    Great post!
    Your profile picture is brilliant! :)

    Natasha Carly x
    www.prettylittlelives.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm jealous of your hair :( mine is the opposite - thin and flat, and I spend hours trying to get volume inot it. The grass is always greener I guess.

    http://thesehappyplaces.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. great tip, definitely going to try this out :) xx

    armariodedanielle.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

BLOG DESIGN BY KOTRYNA BASS DESIGN